Thursday, March 13, 2008

SXSW Day 1 - March 12th, 2008


SXSW is off and running...day one was both amazing and exhausting. I spent the afternoon at a free showcase at the Peacock called Gorilla vs. Booze. They were running behind on the schedule, so by the time I got in there was plenty of time before Ghosthustler started. I like their music, but their live show leaves a bit to be desired. I was expecting a full band (drummer, bassist, etc.) but it was basically the lead singer and the keyboardist. Check out their song, Only Me to Trust, here.

Here's some video from the show:


After Ghosthustler, I stepped outside for a breather while the band Bodies of Water played. During their set I got back in line, but unfortunately not many people left after their set so they weren't letting more people in...so I had to listen to Holy Fuck from outside. Luckily I had just seen them in San Francisco in February so I knew what their stage presence was like so I wasn't TOO bummed...it was still cool to listen to their set, which I could hear loud and clear. After Holy Fuck wrapped up...the line moved quickly and I was back in the venue for the last act of the afternoon, the Cool Kids. I hadn't planned on staying for their set, but was glad I did because they put on an amazing show. Hip hop acts can be really good, or really bad live....so this set was above and beyond my expectations. The stage at the Peacock was tiny and was at the same level as the crowd, so the Cool Kids stood up on stools, so everyone could see them during their set.





After the Peacock show, I got a ride downtown and picked up my SXSW wristband and headed out for the night showcases. Everything that I wanted to see was kind of under the radar, so I had no problems getting in and out of different showcases. The first band I checked out was the Cansecos from Toronto at the Habana Calle patio. After that I rushed over to see the Spanish band, Delorean just down the road at Maggie Mae's rooftop. The view from the venue was worth it, itself (see photo at the top of this post)....and the set that Delorean put on was icing on the cake. 


After Delorean, I caught up with my friends from the band Solution...at the Smalltown Supersound showcase at the Thirsty Nickel. The showcase featured a few electronic acts, most notably Diskjokke and Lindstrom. After that we just kind of bar hopped and gave our livers quite the beating. I'm still struggling today...but will be back in action tonight. The boys from Solution are playing tonight at Darwin's Pub at 10:30 p.m. They got a great time slot at a bar right in the heart of everything...so we're hoping it goes well for them tonight!

Here's a link to my day 1 photos (gallery) You don't need to sign in....just click View Slideshow.

Thanks for reading!

No comments: